Materials Highlights & Fact Sheets
Fluorescent Light Fixtures Available
We have 44 fluorescent light fixtures available now in the Austin Materials Marketplace.
- 5 fixtures are “Lithonia lighting recessed fluorescent luminaire T8″ in their original packaging. They measure approximately 48″ x 23”.
- 39 fixtures are “Vista Lighting Fluorescent t5″, and measure approximately 53″ x 8.5”.
Oyster Shells Available
We have a new program participant with a large and recurring volume of oyster shells available, approximately 4,000 lbs/week on average.
These shells are a very interesting and high value material. If ground up, oyster shells can be used for farming, gardening and land restoration projects. They provide a long-lasting steady release of nutrients to help regulate pH levels, promote healthy cellular structure, increase fertilizer uptake, and enhance soil tilth. If loosely crushed or left whole, oyster shells are also helpful in creating more active habitats for soil microbes in compost piles and worm bins.
Available Now: Reusable Billboard Material
We have a new participant in the Austin Materials Marketplace that has a large and recurring quantity of billboard vinyl available. Details below – login to your marketplace account to get in touch with the owner. Not yet a participant? Contact us for more information.
- Sheets size is 10’ wide x 22’ feet long, with a weight/thickness comparable to 6 mil plastic sheeting. Sheets are opaque, with advertising printing on one side. No grommets. Sheets are folded for storage/transportation, approximate dimensions are 3x2x1’ each.
- No restrictions at this time on end-use, however billboards advertising alcoholic beverages can NOT be reused.
- Approximately 30/day (120/week) are available.
- Eco-Flexx™ – a high density polyethylene (HDPE) substrate, coated on one side with low density polyethylene (LDPE). It is a Totally Chlorine Free (TCF) material, without the toxic phthalates found in PVC. Eco-Flexx is approximately one third of the weight of an equivalent PVC billboard.
- Pick-up at their southeast facility. A regular, ongoing pick-up schedule is the best case scenario.
- This material is durable, UV and water resistant, making them a great replacement for tarps, liners, building applications, compost and fill dirt covers, etc.
- Those interested in more entrepreneurial pursuits should also check out some businesses in other regions using billboard vinyl, like Rareform, Ecologic Designs, Gorilla Sacks, and others.
Phone Chargers Available!
We have 200 tabletop phone chargers coming out of a local hotel available in the marketplace. They have multiple connections for many phones including iPhones up to 4s. These chargers are available free of charge. This photo is taken without the cover, but they all have a black felt cover included. More information on the charger is available at bluelounge.com.
While the iPhone charger may be a little dated, these units are still very usable for a variety of devices. We’re not sure about upgrade potential, but an intrepid recipient may be able to expand its potential. Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested!
Fact Sheet: Reused Stone via the Austin Materials Marketplace
What is it?
One Austin Materials Marketplace participant generates scrap limestone in a variety of shapes and sizes during the fabrication of products including fireplaces, range hoods, and countertops. This scrap includes flat flagstone-like slabs, much larger rectangular blocks, and smaller chunks of rubble.
What could you do with it?
Landscape fill, patios, pathways, retaining walls, and a range of other uses.
Repurposing all of this scrap would divert ~10 tons/week of waste from the landfill, and eliminates the need for the heavy and expensive containers required to haul the material. Reuse would also avoid 0.81 metric tons of CO2 from being generated, and eliminate the environmental impact of quarrying new stone.
Logistics and Terms for Pickup:
Pick-up only, weekends preferred. $15 fee applies if you need assistance loading the stone into your vehicle. Appointment required - coordinate through us for contact details.
Plastic Corner Braces Available
We have a participant with hundreds of plastic corner braces available on a weekly basis. These mixed plastic braces are mainly used to stiffen and support palletized loads before stretch wrapping. Braces are 1 1/2 in. x 1 1/2 in. x 6 1/2 in. long, but could be easily cut down to fit other needs. Get in touch if you could use these, or have any other ideas for potential uses.
We have an Austin Materials Marketplace participant with a significant amount of stone available on a regular basis. Sizes include large blocks, flagstone-esque pieces, small pieces, long and wide strips, and long and skinny strips. They also have a substantial amount of cutting slurry available as well.
Many of these larger pieces could have easy landscaping and architectural uses (patios, pathways, retaining walls, etc), and some of the smaller pieces could be used as landscape fill. What other ideas can you come up with? Contact us for more information.
Austin Community College’s Highland Mall Memorabilia Sale
Attention Austin businesses (especially retail), non-profit organizations, and other AMM participants!
August 27-29, 2015 | Click here for more information
Austin Community College (ACC) is holding a surplus sale on August 27-29, open to the Austin community, of items left behind at Highland Mall. ACC is committed to making sure these remnants find their highest and best use before Phase II construction begins in 2016, and we expect a variety of AMM businesses and organizations will find these items useful.
The sale will include a variety of remnants left at the mall including: store fixtures and displays, tables, desks, chairs and restaurant equipment. There’s a tremendous amount of shelving that would be excellent for warehouse storage. The sale also will feature Highland Mall’s children strollers and gaming machines. Browse through some photos of what’s available (for informational purposes only – not a complete representation of what’s available), and shoot us an email at email@example.com if you’re planning to attend to help us track our impact.